Monday, October 27, 2008

Exam in two hours

I've got an exam in two hours.

I'm petrified.

Tim keeps saying "You always stress"

I say "This is different"

Tim says "You always say that too"

It all stems from a warning we got on the second last day of term "The New Testament department is known for asking questions you wouldn't expect in exams". Now, for someone who likes to be extra prepared and know what I'm getting into that is profoundly disturbing.

But, if I look beyond my (probably unfounded) terror I have to say that this is probably the best way to do exams. Because rather than researching set topics or working out answers to questions that are "due to come up" this exam- I'm actually just reading and getting to know Mark, Ephesians, and 1 Peter. It may mean not as good a mark (!!!shock-horror!!!) but it's a good reminder that I'm not here for a two digit number printed on a transcript. I'm here to learn. I'm here to know God better. And I feel like that has happened. I'm amazed at the great cosmic plan of God- and inspired by what that should mean for Christian relationship (Eph). I'm challenged to remember that being the new people of God means being different and suffering- but knowing that it is only for a little while- and that "God himself will restore you and make you Strong, firm and steadfast" (1 Peter 5:10). And I once again stare up at the Cross of Christ- amazed that the one who made bread from nothing, walked on water, and had power over demons chose to die for me.

Wow- eternal perspective really helps with nerves ;)
love B

No comments: