Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's all Greek to me!

Yesterday I sat my end of year Greek exam.

Greek and I have such a funny love/hate relationship. Sometimes it is my Nemesis, my dragon to be slayed. Other times it's my fascination- my project- my cryptic cross word that longs to be solved.

One of the scariest things about studying this year was the prospect of having to learn Koine Greek- which is the form of Greek used when the Bible was written. I knew (or thought I knew) that I wasn't really a language person, so the idea of having to devote time and energy into learning was scary. The 1 year course that I'm doing doesn't require Greek- so at many times I wondered at my wisdom of taking this on voluntarily. I walked out of my exam yesterday feeling really great about how I had done, and finally convinced that despite the work it was definitely the best decision.

At present I am still deciding whether to work or study next year. So after the exam- Tim asked me how I felt considering this might be the last time I ever had to do Greek.

I felt sad!

Because I feel like I'm only just scraping the surface. I have learnt so much this year and I feel there is so much more to learn if I knew how to do it better.

So, the dragon has been vanquished and the nemesis is a friend. So what am I to do with all my Greek free time? Well, today I had coffee with two people, went for a walk, hung out with Tim, and now I'm finally getting back to my fantasy fiction.

But after today I probably have to start thinking about my many exams which start in a week and 2 days!
Better not put away my dragon slaying sword just yet!
love B

1 comment:

Swift Jan said...

I remember when my Dad was learning greek at bible college. His study was just outside my bedroom window, so I was learning too!! HAHA....
All the best with your exams :)