Monday, October 6, 2008

Shopping Spree!

One of the many things that good about sister Sandy visiting is the shopping. You see, Sandy is an expert op-shopper. She knows what is going to work. One of the hardest things about op-shopping is that the clothes are generally all bunched together on a rack. You see the very edge of a garment, it is a lovely texture and print. This could be a winner you think to yourself proudly as you pull it from the hanger. You find out it has shoulder pads, big mother of pearl buttons, and an anchor embroided into the pocket. You very quickly let it slide to the floor below the rack before anyone saw that you actually touched it.


However Sandy has the knack (from years of practice) of knowing which garments are going to be good based solely on the sleeve.


You also need determination and patients to be a good op-shopper; two characteristics of both my dear parents which seem to have skipped me and ended up firmly in the genes of Sandy. Our op-shopping day was a 35 degree day, and I was walking on a slightly rolled ankle. I spent most of my time at Vinnie's sitting on the floor listening to Sandy's ipod while she very kindly dropped outfits into my lap!


This was my favourite top I got. Isn't it gorgeous?
I ended up spending $40 and if you include a few fantastic cast-offs from my cousin- I've pretty much got my summer wardrobe sorted.
Tim, however, couldn't believe that I would spend $40 at an op shop. You see, usually if we buy clothing over about $20, we warn the other that we are going to do it. For the next day Tim kept muttering to himself "40 dollars at an op shop...". He even dared to compare it to the "joining a wine club" incident of 2006 (always scary when your husband starts a sentence "I know we agreed to discuss first if we were buying something over one hundred dollars but...")
I've never been a fashionable person. And as my Aunt sweetly put it "You have a tiny upper back, but make up for it in the front!". So clothes shopping- though not the stress it has been for many of my friends- was always a cause of frustration as so many styles are not make for someone my shape.
But I'm getting more used to what suits me and doesn't- and now getting new clothes is starting to get more fun. Fun enough to spend $40 at an opshop anyway.
Me: "If you include the free stuff I got from Sulie that's 12 outfits Tim, 12 outfits for $40!"
Tim: "Fourty dollars at an op-shop...fourty dollars..."

5 comments:

Sandy Clarke said...

That top is awesome.

BG said...

Thanks Sandy- good picking ;)
I'm waiting for some better weather so I can wear it!

Louisa Claire said...

Um...I want to know where you are shopping to have a rule "usually if we are going to spend more than $20 on clothing". What exactly can one buy for $20? I am clearly shopping at the wrong places...not even Target is that cheap! :) Oh, and the top is great!

BG said...

I'm surprised how many cheap clothes are out there- if you are willing to wait a season until things end up on the specials rack. My two current pairs of Jean- both from Target- one cost $7 at an end of season sale- the other cost $12.
Tim and I tend to buy only cheap things (unless they are things that are going to get heaps of wear like jackets and shoes)- and if we need nicer clothes- we usually organise for parents to buy it for birthdays and Christmas's.

Swift Jan said...

My mum is an awesome Op shopper!! I used to be, but havn't done it in ages!!!
I think you have inspired me!!