Saturday, June 14, 2008

Update on the vegetable controversy

Thanks by the way, Jean, for letting me know that Eggplant is also a fruit- and therefore can't be my new favourite vegetable.

I'd suggest a new favourite vegetable but I'm sure whatever I pick it will probably also be a fruit. Can anyone tell me something that is actually a vegetable- surely once you remove cucumbers, eggplants and tomatoes and their relatives you can't have many options left?

Incidentally- one of the funniest words in the English Language is Legume. My sister Sandy and I used to say it to each other to make each other laugh. Legume. I think they gave it a name that was so amusing because all of the worst vegetables fit into that category and they needed something to make the vegetables feel better about being very healthy but generally gross.
B

4 comments:

Sandy Clarke said...

Lay off the legumes! Not only are they funny to say but some of them are very nice. Lentils, beans...are soy beans legumes?

UltraViolet said...

Um, are legumes classified as vegetables? I think legumes are a class of their own.

Jean said...

My dear friend, I am catching up on my blog reading, and I would like to inform you that anything which grows from a flower - corn, zucchinis, capsicum - is actually a fruit.

Roots and things which grow from roots - carrots, potatoes, beetroot - are definitely veges.

Leaves - like cabbage, lettuce - I have no idea. You will have to google that one. And I might go and do that right now, pedant that I am ...

Love Jean.

Jean said...

Mushrooms, however, are fungi.

Legumes, I think, aren't veges either. Maybe you should google that too.

I could go on all day ...