Thursday, June 26, 2008

Praying

Dear friends,
Recently I've been feeling a little helpless. I'm very aware that many people I care about are going through hard times. And there sometimes feels like there is nothing I can do. I am someone who likes doing things. Even if a situation is a wait and see situation, if there is something I can do about it, even if its only small, even if it might not make a difference, I want to do something. Sitting on my hands and waiting has never been my strong point. How hard it is when I know that if I was in the same state with people maybe I could at least do something to brighten their day, if I can't actually fix the problem.

But of course, this attitude is all wrong. Because I can pray. Praying, and placing it into the arms of our dear loving father is the best thing that I can do. Its funny how it doesn't always feel that way.

I remember a situation when I was at Monash CU. I met a girl during O-week who had grown up in a Christian home, but wasn't a Christian herself and who had been thinking about the gospel. We had a great chat, and I was really excited about the prospect of meeting with her to talk about Jesus. A week later I called on the number she left me. She had moved, and the relative I spoke to refused to give me her new number. She never turned up again, and I despaired because she needed to hear the gospel. I felt so helpless. So I prayed. For six months I prayed. After six months I bumped into her. Through a church she had joined she had become a Christian and she was so excited to share this with me. And I was reminded again that prayer is not a last resort. Its the most helpful, powerful thing we can do.

So dear friends, know that though I am far away and I can't always serve you in a physical sense, I am praying for you. And please pray for me. I need all the help God can give me to trust him, both with you and with my own circumstances and uncertain future.
love B
PS For the Sydney-siders reading- I am praying for you too, and I am thankful that I can help you in other, less crucial, but still important ways!

No comments: