Friday, July 25, 2008

Update on the health kick

Just an update on my health kick.


Practically speaking it is going well. I'm being pretty good, sticking to healthy meals and snacks- not pigging out when I go out to a restaurant. I've lost a few kilos.


Its also been quite an important personal step. I've always been a comfort eater, I love food, and I had a sneaky suspicious that I could never truely be self controled with food. So its nice to know that I can. I know it is God helping me to do it and I am so thankful to him for his help.


But it also has been really, really annoying.


It's horrible to see so much good food and not eat it- particularly at College where meals are provided for us so there is always healthy and unhealthy options. When I walked past the mini-sticky-date puddings at Tuesday dinner at college I wanted to scream.


I'm horribly self-righteous about it- mixing my utter frustration with self congratulation. Almost every time I deny myself something I want to run over to Tim and cry out "look at me, look at me. Look what I didn't eat!"


And one of the worst things is that these changes in diet are intended to be semi-permenant so I am saying goodbye (except for occasional splurges) to chips, pizza, and cheesecake. I hadn't realised how much I loved them until they were gone from my now vegie/fruit/legume filled life.


Well, after that rant I feel better. Afterall, all over the world there are people who eat to live rather than living to eat.
And God has lavished on me not only bread to eat, but the bread of life- and those who eat of it will never be hungry.

Puts everything into perspective doesn't it?

No comments: