Monday, November 9, 2009

Sick and writing

I'm sick again! It's a combination of nose/throat, a slight temperature, and vomiting/nausea. The nausea is (I'm hoping) partly due to some antibiotics I'm taking for a stomach parasite (does the fun ever end with me?), so should go away once I finish the ABs at lunch time.

It's so annoying! And it's compounded by the fact that I always feel ill if I sit up for long periods of time. So I will try to get this post down before my next trip to the couch.

I thought now would be a good time to set down my novel writing goals so that (for once) I might stick to them.

This is the plan...

My aim is to get the first draft of my novel done by December 2010. That's right- 13 months time. I think this is manageable if I get cracking. I'm probably almost half way there at the moment, and so 13 more months should do it.

Part of the aim of Dec 2010 is that I can then set aside 2011 (our last year in Sydney) as the year to actually go about seeing if anyone wants to publish it. The more I read about it, and as I look back on advice received in my creative writing course at Uni- there is more to getting published than just writing a book and sending it out. You need to get your name out there by entering writing competitions, connecting with local writers organisations and finding an agent who can sell the manuscript for you. 2011 will be the year for starting that process. I also like the idea of giving that task a solid year of my life so that...if it turns out that my novel (in it's 2011 form) is not up to scratch, I have a date where I can come to that conclusion and remake it or start something else, or move on.

Scary.

One of the biggest tasks I have to do, which is currently leading to a fair bit of writers block- is to really pin down what I want to overall story (across the trilogy I'm planning to write) to be. At the moment I keep rethinking things, adding extra characters just for the fun of it, and adapting my current story based one what I would like to happen in the next two. I really need to work out exactly what will happen in the future books so I can in some ways set them aside to really concentrate on the one novel.

Alright, time to lie down again.
love B

2 comments:

Lucidus said...

B,
I didn't know you write! That's brilliant! Can I read some sometime?

Hope you better soon! That doesn't sound nice, and it must be so hot in Sydney too, if Melbourne's any judge. It's sweltering here.

BG said...

Thanks Lucidus ;)
Hmmm, maybe, I'm not sure if it's classy enough for a Melbourne Uni student ;)
Maybe when I get a bit I'm happy with I'll show you.

Actually, Sydney was really hot last Tuesday but since then it's been lovely and mild- all in the twenties. Being near the water means warm winters and cool summers- just about perfect weather (I hate to admit it tho)

Hey, what's your plans for next year?
Bet your sick of people asking that ;)
love B