Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What ministry is like...

I was reflecting today on my first six months of working in my job and thinking about all the wonderful things i want to do in the next six months but don't have time for. It got me thinking.

Ministry involves having big dreams of doing wonderful, organised, professional programs and having deep, relevant and meaningful relationships with people that are peppered with good deeds and wonderful God-saturated conversations. Ministry involves watching those dreams be replaced with a crazy hard slog. You end up producing something that is no where near what you originally dreamed. And ministry involves watching a magnificent, powerful God in his grace and mercy using your disorganised, unprofessional programs and your not quite perfect relationships to do things that are greater than you ever imagined.

What a great reminder that the Christian life starts and continues and ends with grace!
love B

1 comment:

Givinya De Elba said...

Hi Belinda, thanks for your comment - it makes me feel humble to know that my most embarrassingly unfaithful-to-God thoughts and God's faithfulness through it all struck a chord with others :)

You're right about ministry - it's a funny thing! We've found our niche in SUQld, and it can be very gritty and 'everyday'. Ooh, I'm not explaining that very well. You probably understand though.