Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teaching the Christmas story at playgroup

(This is actually a post I planned and took photos for last year and never got around to posting, but better late than never!)

The nature of our playgroup is that it is a group run for people in the community, and our prayer and hope is that it might lead parents and kids to develop an interest in God and Jesus.  This means that times like Christmas and Easter are important- because they are very natural times for talking about such things.

The first year I ran playgroup I decided to do two weeks on the Christmas story with the kids.  The first week I found a good story book and read it through.  On the second week, when I got to a picture of the "nativity scene" I asked if any of the kids remembered who the characters in the story were.  One boy yelled out "Santa" and another girl cried "The Wiggles".  I realised then that perhaps with pre-schoolers I needed a few more weeks to get the story to stick :)

The follow year, and this year, I worked out a cool way to cover the Christmas story, assisted with some suggestion from the website kidzlink which has some great ideas which I stole and adapted for my situation and style.

The first thing I did was get a plastic plant we had at church and turned it into a Christmas tree!

Then I brought in my nativity scene which my sister bought me when she went to Israel.  I like it because its really rustic, it's not very comercial, and in some ways it represents quite well I think the simplicity of the first Christmas.

Each week I choose part of the Christmas story to cover.  Usually in the first week I do the Angel telling Mary and Joseph they are going to have Jesus, the second week they go to Bethlehem and have Jesus, the third week the shepherds and the fourth week the wise men.

I wrap up the pieces of the nativity scene which come up in that week.  I don't have an angel in my set so I had to use this ornament :)



Once the pieces are wrapped, I place them underneither the Christmas tree

Each week I pick a few kids (making sure its not the same ones every week!) to unwrap the "presents" and then I use the figures to tell the story.

I love it, because it involves the kids, they don't just hear but they see and touch as well, and we have multiple weeks to go over the story.  It also starts with things they associate with Christmas (presents and trees) and uses them to bring it back to the real reason behind the celebrations.

To keep emphasising it, I also show them the pictures from the Beginner's Bible, which I think does a great job of covering the Christmas story.


It is amazing how much more the kids take it.  They love looking at and holding the Baby Jesus.  And each week I get to say- "Christmas is actually all about Jesus"

And so far this year, we haven't had a single mention of the Wiggles.  Thought the term is not over yet!
love B

No comments: