Monday, August 4, 2008

My hectic weekend and lazy day!

I had such a blue-sky day today! These are the days were I alternate between singing Christian kids songs and strange 70s love ballads. When the weather just seems to seep into my soul. They happen fairly sporatically, but usually occur more frequently when the spring approaches.

I think part of it was the fact that my hectic but good weekend was over. It was great and I wouldn't have changed it (except that it might have been nice to have my assignment done before it!)- but it is also nice to have a relaxing time to recover.

The weekend was hectic due to two great things: Tim's Mum visiting and the Faithful Writers conference.

Last year when I heard about this conference for Christian writers I was disappointed to be in the wrong state to go. So when I saw the facebook group associated with the conference I decided I must go.

But as the time approached I started to have my doubts. I figured it would be filled with lots of proper writers, deep thinking profound writers who wrote about important things- not a first year Theol student who dables in bad fantasy fiction and blogs about vegetables! I started to get scared- what if I didn't fit in? What if I leave thinking I should give up on writing? I love writing!

But it wasn't like that at all.

For one, there was very little in it about theological writing- most of the stuff related to poetry (which I can't do but I enjoyed hearing about) or fictional or reflective writing. Everything was very practical- there were some awesome tips which have answered some problems that I've had for a while in terms of how I write. And we were given 1 and 1/2 hours to do writing exercises- on great topics like "The ones who are closest to us are the ones who allude us" and "The time I almost gave up my faith". When I was younger i used to think by writing- as I've gotten older I've come to think by talking- but I forgot how exciting it was to try to take the essence of your heart at a particular time and capture it in a few pithy sentences.

And I was also struck by a profound thought. I don't need to write bad fantasy fiction. Just because its fantasy- doesn't mean that it has to be writen at a different quality to literature. I had a little go at reworking an old sentence from my story and it came alive. It gave me hope that I can do this.

So all in all it was a wonder experience- worth my grogginess today as I try to recover from no real day off this week.
love B

1 comment:

Sandy Clarke said...

As long as you have the occasional heroine called Sandy, I fully endorse your creative fantasy fiction writing. ;)

And nice use of the word pithy, by the way.

Oh, and I am full of nuclear isotopes, in case you were interested. :P

love Sandy