Thursday, December 15, 2011

The last post in Sydney- from Melbourne

Things in your head very rarely turn out quite like you expect on the plate.

That is in many ways how I feel about this blog post. It would have been really lovely to have a final blog post from this blog, written on my final day or two in Sydney.  A beautiful opportunity to reflect on all that is happened, all that I have learnt.

But of course, the last two weeks have been spent finishing work and packing and cleaning the house.  So my final post "Sydney-side" is actually being written at my parent-in-laws dinning room table in Camberwell :)

But, in this un-ideal reality I thought I would be still worthwhile reflecting on my time in Sydney, and particularly the goodbyes of the last few weeks.

SYDNEY
It really is a special city.  In many ways its always seemed surreal, catching a train to work over the harbour bridge, hanging at darling harbour, driving the 20 minutes it takes to get to Bondi.  I have enjoyed living there.  But the main things that have made our time in Sydney have been People, College, Church, and Newtown.  God has provided some terrific friends, friends that have been with us through some really tough times, laughed with us through the fun times, and been some amazing godly examples to us.  College has been wonderful, both for supplying many of the above friends, but also for the wonderful stretching Tim has been through as he's wrestled with God's Word in great depth.  Church has been such an important part of our lives in Sydney, in many ways they have been our family.  And Newtown has been such a fun place to live, in many ways feeling like another character in the play of our lives in Sydney.


THE LAST FEW WEEKS
The last few weeks have been mad, so many goodbyes, some really positive and happy, some really sad.  I have felt so loved and appreciated by those I've worked with.  The thoughtful presents from Playgroup people, the words of encouragement, and the support of our future plans has been great comfort through the pain of change.  When I look back on these last few weeks, I am very aware of God's goodness in providing lots of evidence that the last three years of ministry have not been in vain.  This is not aways the case for those of us in ministry, and it is a great comfort as I step into a new life and a new role, to see that God can use me despite my weakness

NOW?
Now, well, now is time to get a new blog.  I'm going to do some work on it tonight, and hopefully have it ready in the next week :)  Stay tuned for the link!

Thanks for following my Sydney adventures!
love B

No comments: