Friday, May 15, 2009

My Secret World

Do you want to know a secret?

Most of the time I act like everyone else, and you might not suspect whats really going on. But I have a secret. A secret world.

I visit it often- sometimes when I'm on the train- still waking up ready to face the day. Sometimes it's after the lights go out and my head has hit the pillow. Sometimes (often in fact) it is when I walk through the streets of wherever I am living at the time. And sometimes it's even here, in the world's most messy office.

I go there most often when I am feeling peaceful and happyish. But even at times of suffering and stress it can be my little refuge for a tired mind.

It is a world that is so different to this one, and yet so many things are the same. There are people that look like us, that struggle like us, with the same problems magnified by their unusual surroundings. This world is an exaggerated caricature of our world. The mountains are grander, the sea is wider and so much is unknown. There is magic and spells and adventure that brings the extraordinary in people- but which also highlight their weakness and sin.

There is a great history that has been slowly wiped out from the memories of the people in that world. But I know that history, and will be slowly revealing it to the characters of my choosing.

There is a little girl who is a little bit like me, though not too much :) She is dreamy and small and inconsequential...at first. But she is the last piece in a puzzle that I am putting together to save her world.

There are events that happen in this world that arrive like a lightening bolt in my head; while others take weeks, months and even years of thinking before I decide on "what happens next".

I don't know if I will ever get my novel finished, and sometimes when I read parts of it I think I'll never get it published even if I do finish! But I love my little world and I love the tales I discover there and so I'm going to keep visiting and writing what I see.

Can you keep my secret?
love B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you do get it finished and published!

but if you don't you always have 'The Woman who took the Starts' the fall back on ;)